Being able to drive provides people with the freedom to travel for work, business or leisure, but we sometimes forget the great responsibility that comes with driving and the affects a moments lapse could have on ourselves or other people. The South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership aim to educate and provide free advice for all drivers of all ages.
As a driver there are a number of tips that you can follow:-
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you may still be over the limit the morning after
- Always wear your seatbelt and ensure your passengers use the one appropriate for their seating position
- As a passenger do not distract the driver when they are driving
- Unless otherwise signed, streetlights mean 30mph
- Bad weather and poor visibility mean even slower road speeds
- Never use your mobile/smart phone or device while driving
- After every journey, just take a few moments to think, 'if that was my test would I have passed?'
- Do you know about black box insurance? This allows insurance companies to offer lower premiums for those who drive safely - AutoExpress Black Box Info
South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership Driver Initiatives
For South Yorkshire specific initiatives please follow the links below:-
Vehicle Road Safety Advice
Good Egg Guide - New Parents Guide to Child Car Seats, helpful advice and information on choosing the right seat for your child.
Good Egg Guide - Child Car Seat Exceptions
IAM RoadSmart - Institute of Advanced Motorists
Reporting Pot Holes/Debris & Spillages, (including mud and farm/work site materials) -
Sheffield Council - Online Streets Ahead or or o
Rotherham Council - Online Street Pride
Barnsley Council - Online at Road Maintenance
Doncaster Council - Online Highway Network Management
Major Roads - Reporting Road Obstructions
Smart Motorways - Advice from the Highways Agency on the changes to sections of the M1 in South Yorkshire, including the new smart motorway signs and their meanings
Horse Safety - Advice on safely negotiating horses being ridden on the road and country lanes.