For some members of the community mobility scooters are an essential tool to help them maintain their independence, however, recorded figures show that in the last five years, across South Yorkshire, there were 30 incidents involving mobility scooters and in 19 of those incidents people were either killed or injured as a result. Many more incidents go unreported.
In order to address this issue, South Yorkshire Police has developed Scooter Safe to teach mobility scooter users about the legal requirements of owning and using a scooter and the skills required to drive their machine safely.
Parkgate Mobility is working together with South Yorkshire Police to deliver road safety awareness courses for mobility scooter users in South Yorkshire.
The aim of the session
- To explain the lawful requirements and responsibilities of mobility scooter users
- To raise safety awareness of mobility scooter users
- To provide manoeuverability skills to mobility scooter users
- To have a better understanding of how the law affects mobility scooter users
- To have a better understanding of road safety
- To recognise individual strengths and weaknesses in relation to how users interact with other members of the public
- To become more skilled in manoeuvring mobilty scooters
- The course will run for approximately 2 hours
- Booking in advance is required
- The course can be held at a suitable venue in your community.
To date a series of Scooter Safe events have been held at the Lifewise Centre and at other locations across South Yorkshire including residential homes and community centres.
For further details, or to book a place on a course, please contact the Lifewise Centre on 01709 832453 or alternatively, email email@example.com
Course layout and presentation area at Brunswick Gardens Village ScooterSafe Session
Tracy from Parkgate Mobility taking one of the residents through their paces on the Scootersafe course.